Re: [CQ-Contest] [NCCC] DUMB CUT NUMBER

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [NCCC] DUMB CUT NUMBER
From: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:01:36 -0800
Jon, W4ZW, wrote:

Hey Locust,  it's already started!

I discovered one thing I have never encountered before.  One DX station, if
he has already worked you on another band, simply sends your call and a TU,
his call, gets the next caller.  I guess he thinks who needs an exchange
when it's in the log?  He's NIL here.
----

Horrors!  Sure sounds like grounds for being DQ'd to me.

I was half asleep when I made my previous post on the way to bed, and when
my head hit the pillow, I realized I had forgotten one important thing, but
left it 'til morning.

Unless all parts of any exchange are axed (like Mr. Creative in your example
has already done), since it's unlikely that Contest Sponsors will ban cut
numbers, then they need to clarify what are acceptable cut
numbers...something like a Cut Numbers Standard WITHIN the Rules themselves.

So far, I've encountered the following used for 1,000 watts (let's face it -
many are running 1.5 KW or significantly more, so the power output is really
a joke anyway - and WHO CARES how much power someone is running anyway?):

1TTT
1K
KW
AK  (Gheeeeez)

Maybe 40 years ago some folks sent the full 1,000 with full length zeros but
I'm having a Senior Moment.

CONTEST SPONSORS:  Please publish a STANDARD for cut numbers (or BAN them)
within YOUR rules and DQ those who create Unnecessary Confusion.

Confusion is from the devil.

Thank You.

73...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust