Re: [CQ-Contest] Public access to logs

To: "'Sandy Taylor'" <ve4xt@mts.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public access to logs
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 10:51:41 -0500
> Be all this as it may, is the debate not pointless until ARRL
> weighs in on whether CQ publishing WW logs invalidates WW
> contacts for DXCC credit? And, shouldn't the complaints be
> directed toward CQ, with the ultimate protest of voting with
> your feet being the main weapon? Or maybe it's ARRL that
> needs to be flexible. Or perhaps both organizations should be
> chided for not playing well together.
>
> If you don't feel strongly enough about this to employ the
> ultimate protest, why are we even having this discussion?

I have done just that ... in addition to KOHB's action to withhold
logs in CQ sponsored contests, I have notified CQ of my intention
to withhold support for the magazine in other ways until this policy
is changed.  I further intend to urge others in my position to do
the same.

The contest committees can still provide for outside scrutiny
of the logs by removing identifying information (e.g., name,
address, e-mail address, etc.) from the Cabrillo header and
encrypting the call.  With that the public log no longer violates
section III, paragraph 5 of the DXCC rules but still provides raw
data for those who wish to do statistical analysis.  The committees
can maintain a cross reference between encrypted and real calls for
their own use in case outside analysis (if anyone bothers) were to
produce a credible charge of cheating.

If individuals outside the committee are only interested in
statistical analysis, logs with all individually identifying
information removed are sufficient for that purpose.  There
is no legitimate purpose for anyone outside the sponsoring
organization to study the log of a particular station.