[CQ-Contest] Public Access to logs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Public Access to logs
From: <w1md@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 7:24:05 -0500
So Ron,

By the logic of your comment below, couldn't someone just as easily just
"listen" on the air, copy a few calls that VP6DX worked (to give him/her a
range to validate his claim) and then submit his 'manufactured' QSL card for
credit?

There are plenty of ways to 'cheat' the system if you are so inclined...

I have to agree with Sauls comment...pass out the valium...

73, Marty
W1MD

_______________________

Chuck,

You're still confused?  OK. Let's try it this way.

W3WH (who doesn't live that far from me) worked VP6DX on 12 meters.  (Not a
contest QSO, incidently!)  I didn't.

With an open log, it is child's play for me, should I have been so inclined
(and I'm not), to look up the exact time of the QSO and claim that they
actually worked me.  Further, with an open log, I can even look up adjoining
QSO's to "prove" that it was actually me.

Now multiply that a couple of hundred times for people who just "have" to
show that they were in the log on a particular band or band/mode.

THAT is why the ARRL DXCC program is against open logs.

That you can print an "e-Card" and slip it past the field checkers is beside
the point.  If you really wanted to, you could make up a card from scratch
these days and try the same thing.  That says more about your integrity, to
even try this, than I care to get into.  But because you could pull a
fraudulent action like this -- and by your own admission have done so at
least four times, even if just to "prove a point" -- does not make the
entire program a sham.

And because you think the entire program is a sham, you have the right to
try to tear it down or destroy it for the rest of us?