Re: [CQ-Contest] Public access to logs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public access to logs
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 16:01:32 +0000
W5OV quoted bits of Section III of DXCC rules & then said:

>Since the theme of this section of the rules is accreditation of DXpeditions
>- not any and all logs as it is now being applied in this discussion - it
>seems that Wayne's comment is consistent with the theme of accreditation **
>for DXpeditions only **.

Not sure how you conclude that, as there are only three
words that start with "DXpedition" at
http://www.arrl.org/awards/dxcc/rules.html#si & they are all
within point 3(e) of Section III.

If Section III were to do with DXpeditions only, one might
expect that to be stated at the beginning of the section, or
in each & every point within that section - not just 3(e).

Another way to look at it is if point 5 applied to just
DXpeditions, then perhaps it would say so, just like 3(e).
Then all the other points apply to both DXpeditions &
non-DXpeditions.

W5OV then continued:

>Applying accreditation criteria to non-DXpeditions is a bit of a stretch,
>and does not follow the interpretation information given by the DXCC manager
>when the rule was made.

Let me take that & rewrite point 1 of Section III based
on what W5OV just said there:

DXCC credit is given only for contacts with operations
that are conducted with proper licensing and have
established a legitimate physical presence within the
Entity to be credited, but only if that operation is a
DXpedition.

So much for the often mentioned "integrity" of the DXCC
program.

That 'rule of man' trumps 'rule of rule' is also a bit hard
to swallow (quote from ex-Member Services Manager
[not DXCC Manager] N7NG) - otherwise, if DXpeditions
were all that were intended to be covered, then the current
Section III is, to be polite, rather poorly written.

73, ex-VR2BrettGraham/p.