Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations

To: "'cq-contest reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:57:45 -0400
Denis has a point about the latency issue.

Of those concerned about the issue, let me ask... how many have actually
operated a remote station?

KQ3DX set up one of his rigs (I believe his Omni VI) via remote control (an
Internet link) about, oh, not quite a year back.  Came over here to
demonstrate it.  It was interesting to work him, or his rig if you will,
when he was actually sitting next to me in the shack with a laptop and a
headset.

But an advantage?  There was a small but noticeable delay between the time I
said something and he heard it, and vice-versa.  I'd guess a touch under a
half a second... just enough to be annoying on phone, but quite noticeable
on CW.  And that was in a casual QSO.  In a high-speed contest situation?
I'd want to actually try it to say for certain, but I'd strongly suspect
that it would be difficult on phone and near impossible on CW -- the
operator of the remote station just couldn't come back fast enough.

Oh, I'm sure there are ways... a two way RF link for audio with control via
the Internet comes to mind, and I'm sure there are many others... but an
advantage?  With current off the shelf technology?  Hardly.

73, ron w3wn