Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations

To: "'cq-contest reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:38:42 -0400
IMHO there are NO advantages, in fact, there are many disadvantages.

Here in Florida, just about every residential community has become a CC&R
"restricted" community.  Florida is still a primary destination for
America's retirees, including many hams. Almost every home I have had here
in Florida has had restrictions against antennas, and one against Amateur
radio specifically.  I managed to negotiate the provision for a tower in one
community (my 2 lots in this gated community were over 3 acres) since the
developer was in a jam and had the agreement written into my deed.  But when
my new neighbors started building their houses and learned that I was going
to erect a tower, the sparks flew and legal actions threatened.  Since I
valued good neighbors more than a 85' tower, we settled on a rhombic with
hidden support masts in the very tall slash pines.

In my next community, I managed to put up a vertical in the woods (natural
area) next to my house that worked until someone found out about it and the
threatening letters been arriving even though I caused no interference or
problems to anyone.  My current QTH was chosen primarily for the freedom
from CC&R's and I consider myself lucky.  But  there is even a movement
underway to try and place this community into a "controlled environmental
plan in order to maintain its ambience" where I have threatened legal
action.

However, many of my fellow hams who have retired here to Florida find
themselves SOL.  Our club has installed two remote radios (a Kenwood 480 and
a Flex 5000 to multiband antennas at 200')  that enjoys heavy use from our
members.  In fact, for many, it is their only "hamming".  Even with a club
project, there are problems with power failures (even with a TCP/IP power
strip), latency (which makes CW almost impossible), router lock-ups, etc
etc.   Any problem that can't be managed via TCP/IP requires a visit to the
site.  We are fortunate to have a technical guy who makes frequent trips to
the sites to keep things working.

Competitive, no; joy for those who can no longer enjoy amateur radio,
priceless.

When you retire and find your XYL outlining her housing choices in an almost
universal CC&R area, you may change your mind about remote contesting.

Me, I just enjoy the weather, the golf, the sailing, and the rare freedom to
put up any antenna I please.

My 2 cents.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

Checked by AVG.
10:34 AM