Re: [CQ-Contest] SKIMMER = BUMMER

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>, n6tj@sbcglobal.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SKIMMER = BUMMER
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:19:13 -0700 (PDT)
To the best of my knowledge, even tho' CW readers have
been around for years, few, serious or even
semi-serious contesters use the technology.

For that matter, how many folks in the general ham
public use the technology with any frequency? Some
learners? Some casual operators?

Why not use on-line SDR transceivers for contesting?
Heck it's just you and your computer/software... no
need to build an arcane antenna system, buy the latest
$10K rig, we'll just use the latest "technology".

If you think using skimmer is going to attract new
young contesters because it's the latest greatest,
then you'd better figure out how to use it on cells
phones. I doubt we'd pull anyone from the gaming
community...

73,
Julius

--- "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com> wrote:

> Jim,
>
> > No matter how one chooses to parse the words, one
> of the
> > unique, intrinsic, and abject joys of amateur
> radio, in
> > general, and contesting in particular, is the
> beauty of
> > our ability  to COPY signals and call signs.
>
> I'm sorry you feel that way but the "copy by ear"
> train left
> the station many years ago.  Not only is CW decoding
> integral
> to Writelog, Amateur radio has not required that
> skill as an
> entry requirement for nearly ten years.  To deny
> those who
> lack your particular skill set and dedication the
> ability
> to participate in a significant portion of contests
> would
> go a long way toward hastening the demise of
> contesting -
> at least CW contesting.
>
> Machine copy, whether it be Skimmer, the WriteLog
> decoder
> or one of the other stand alone decoders will be
> used by
> an every larger portion of CW contest entrants as
> the "old
> time" operators disappear.  Do we lose something in
> the
> drift to machine copy?  Yes.  However that's not the
> issue.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

=== message truncated ===