Re: [CQ-Contest] State QSO parties and CW

To: n5ten@yahoo.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] State QSO parties and CW
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:06:07 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/2008 8:45:02 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
n5ten@yahoo.com writes:

I am not  complaining as I like CW contests and just
tolerate SSB contests, but why  is this?  It seems that
SSB would be easier to run while mobile.

SSB is much harder to run while mobile.

A moderately weak signal on CW, where there is not a whole lot of activity
other than contest activity, is pretty easy to find.  A moderately weak  signal
on SSB, where there are lots of other users, gets buried in the QRM.

Also, since there are few other users in the CW bands, the contest activity
can cluster together.  That cluster may only be 10 KHz wide, but it  sounds
like a contest.  On SSB, contest signals mixed amongst the  ragchewers, nets,
etc., get spread out over much of the band (like 14220 to  14290 SSB). Finding
weak mobile in this haystack is not easy.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

Professor of Mobile Contesting
Contest University

listings at AOL Autos.