Re: [CQ-Contest] State QSO parties and CW

To: "John Geiger" <n5ten@yahoo.com>, "cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] State QSO parties and CW
From: "Hal Offutt" <hal@japancorporateresearch.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:23:31 -0400
John,

It's just a whole lot easier to hold a frequency with an S-4 signal on CW
than on SSB.  I don't think the extra points for CW contacts are the
determining factor.  Whether I'm moving or operating while stopped, CW is
just a lot easier than SSB (and easier on the voice).

SSB activity by mobiles is determined in large part by the rules on
multipliers.  In events where multipliers are counted once on CW and once on
phone (such as the MIQP) you will find a lot more mobile SSB activity.

Like you I usually prefer CW to phone but the challenge of amassing a good
multiplier total on SSB as a mobile can be a lot of fun.

Perhaps when 10 and 15 are hot again, there will be more mobile SSB
activity.  A mobile can produce a pretty respectible signal on these bands.

73,

Hal W1NN