Re: [CQ-Contest] Repeating an idea from the 7QP soapbox...

To: kevin@rowett.org, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Repeating an idea from the 7QP soapbox...
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 02:50:15 -0700 (PDT)
This topic seems to have been discussed last year as
well. I think the MARAC/7QP/InQP/NEQP weekend is
somewhat unique. You probably have more casual
contesters who are most interested in new counties
than the contests themselves.

The formats were not all that different between 7QP
and NEQP. I noticed a number of folks in InQP were
sending state and county designation in the exchange.
A good idea on their part.

The MARAC exchange is 2x4, versus 2x3, which may
confuse folks.

Maybe the best thing would be these contest organizers
arrive at some common format agreement to the benefit
of all the contests.

I enjoy all four of these contests. MARAC I use a
different logging program, that I'm less familiar with
 and is a little more difficult to correct errors
with. Cycling between QSO parties is a little goofy
with N1MM, but is not horrible by any means. If the
MARAC contests were available on N1MM, it would be
easier. I'm not a programmer, but I've been reading
the programming document to see if I can figure out
how to do it.

It would be easier too if the name of the particular
QSO party versus the generic showed up on the drop
down. That may be a tall order...

Standardization would be nice, as it would allow more
intense participation in all of that weekends
contests. If it doesn't happen, I still plan on making
as many QSOs as I can in all of them, particularly
considering the amount of effort that goes into them
by others.

73,
Julius
--- Kevin Rowett <kevin@rowett.org> wrote:

> > Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best, and I
> think this simple idea is
> > wins on several levels.
> >
> > It almost certainly increases participation from
> "casual passers-by" since
> > the exchange is consistent from weekend to
> weekend.
> >
> > As Bob points out, it "untangles" the overlapping
> QP's simply.
>
> Regional parties is perhaps a better overall
> solution to this problem.
> We've seen the growth of 7QP, NEQP, and perhaps the
> original W6 CQP
> could be considered regional.
>

> > It encourages multiple QPs on the same weekend,
> again likely increasing
> > participation.
> >
> > And the advantages that Bob has already mentioned.
>
> Some parties support the use of a serial number,
> some don't.  Would we require
> everyone to go to the exact same format?
>
> 73, K6TD, -KR-

Julius Fazekas
N2WN

Tennessee Contest Group