Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer in CQ WPX CW

To: "Randy Thompson" <k5zd@charter.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer in CQ WPX CW
From: "Stan Stockton" <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 23:30:18 -0500
>Thanks for sharing Michael.  Will be interesting to see how
>it goes during the contest.

>Dear Contesters: Just to be clear, my original email said
> >that a single op could use a skimmer WITHIN THEIR >OWN
>STATION.  Using one connected via the Internet requires
>entry in the assisted or multi-op categories.

Just curious Randy.  Someone in Europe has a CW Skimmer set
up and a multi-operator or assisted entrant
in the USA is using it.  The guy in Europe happens to click
on the option that provides all callsigns instead of
verified callsigns (ones that are calling CQ) or "happens"
to tune the receiver to a particular frequency and click
that
option.  The USA entrant immediately sees a stream of
European callsigns appear on his screen on his frequency
calling him - same thing as a remote receiver in Europe only
with a code reader involved..  Is this grounds for
immediate and automatic disqualification or is there a grace
period where it is OK for everyone to use a
remote receiver while clearing the screen of callsigns that
are calling?

Is it OK if I am in the multi-multi category and someone
(with or without my knowledge) decides to feed me a
stream of callsigns calling on a run frequency from a
Skimmer set up?   If someone is feeding a packet cluster
and feeds in callsigns that are not calling CQ, are all the
entrants who are logged into that cluster automatically
disqualified?

All I have seen is that it is OK to use a local Skimmer if
you are Single Operator unassisted and a not-so-local
Skimmer set up if you are in any other category.  If these
and many other questions that are more esoteric than
these have not been thought through and dealt with in the
rules making, it would appear that we are just flying
by the seat of our pants, using a major World Wide Contest
to see what happens. God help us, if this is the case....

73...Stan, K5GO