Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU

To: cq-contesting cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 16:35:13 -0400
On Jun 3, 2008, at 3:51 PM, K0HB wrote:

> [...]

I don't recall saying it was assistance, Hans. I was posing the
question on whether it should be banned or not. I certainly suspect
that those who had computers had a big advantage over those who didn't.

> Computer logging simply automates the record-keeping process, but
> does not
> perform any "radioman-like" functions.
>
> Skimmer performs "radioman-like" functions in that it autonomously
> gathers
> information in realtime from a radio and feeds that information to the
> station operator.

Well since I didn't say it was assistance, the argument is a little
moot, but here we are. It's a durn big help, IMO. Too bad not so many
people do paper logs these days, it would be interesting to do a
multi year experiment with a group of top contesters, half operating
paper logs, and half using computer logs.

-73 de Mike N3LI -