Re: [CQ-Contest] Use of di-di-dah-dah-di-dit in CW Contest

To: k1kaa@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Use of di-di-dah-dah-di-dit in CW Contest
From: "doug smith" <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:51:35 -0500
Some operators seem to use ? in lieu of QRL?.  For that reason I
promptly reply to a ? with a short CQ.  (if the guy didn't get my
call, he did now; if he was about to start calling CQ, he now knows
the frequency is in use)

Simply replying with another ? would probably scare off most of those
who meant QRL?.

On 6/5/08, Mike DeChristopher, K1KAA <k1kaa@arrl.net> wrote:
> Some people get very frustrated when S&P'ers send a "?" after their CQ.
> You'll get the callsign in a second or two; I don't think it will kill
> the rate.  In fact, sending "?" and waiting for him to send his call may
> take just as long.  Same with phone weekends: saying "YOUR CALL?"
> usually makes the running op angry.  There's a situation for everything,
> though.
>
> Or maybe "the other guy" only caught part of SQ5M's ..--.. and figured
> he heard a call.  Either way, the problem would have been avoided if he
> just listened to the next CQ.  RX first.
>
> --
>
> Mike DeChristopher, K1KAA
> k1kaa@arrl.net
> http://k1kaa.413ma.org
> AR-Cluster node telnet://dx.413ma.org
>

> Tim Goeppinger wrote:
>
>> I was watching a video of SQ5M operating an Elecraft K3 during CQ WPX CW
>> tonight.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl9mUBC-v-g
>> He is doing a fine job of S&P up and down 80M.   At 1:12 in the video he
>> tunes across
>> the tail end of a CQ (just TEST at the end)  Trying to be efficient, SQ5M
>> fires a
>> ? (di-di-dah-dah-di-dit) at the guy who is running.  The other guy sends a
>> di-di-dah-dah-di-dit
>> right back at him!    Why?
>>
>> I have seen this alot lately.  Is this rude, or just plain stupid?  Why
>> can't the runner just just send his call?
>> Wouldn't it be more efficient to send your callsign once, than have the
>> S&Per send his?
>>
>> If I encounter this situation again when I am S&P, I really am tempted to
>> keep firing ?'s back , until they send their %*# callsign.
>>
>> (steps down from soapbox)
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Tim K6GEP

==