Re: [CQ-Contest] Use of di-di-dah-dah-di-dit in CW Contest

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Use of di-di-dah-dah-di-dit in CW Contest
From: Bob Davis <bob@reconstructinghistory.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:54:19 -0400
Mike DeChristopher, K1KAA wrote:

>Some people get very frustrated when S&P'ers send a "?" after their CQ.
>You'll get the callsign in a second or two; I don't think it will kill
>the rate.  In fact, sending "?" and waiting for him to send his call may
>take just as long.  Same with phone weekends: saying "YOUR CALL?"
>usually makes the running op angry.  There's a situation for everything,
>though.
>
>Or maybe "the other guy" only caught part of SQ5M's ..--.. and figured
>he heard a call.  Either way, the problem would have been avoided if he
>just listened to the next CQ.  RX first.

That could be. If I send "?" because I tuned in to the CQ late, shame on
me; I'll wait!

My beef is when the op is in the middle of a run and doesn't send his
call.  For my part, being an almost exclusively S&P op, it's really
irritating when a running op signs with "QRZ?" instead of their
callsign.  I listened to more than a few ops in my short experience in
radiosport who run, run, run at a very impressive clip, but I sit there
for five or six minutes waiting for them to actually transmit their
callsign instead of "QRZ?" of "T U".  That's a complete waste of my
time, especially since ending a contact with "T U NQ3X" or "Thanks,
November Quebec Three X-ray" is just as simple.  I can't be alone; how
many Qs are those running ops missing because they don't sign
regularly?  I listen before transmitting.  If conditions are poor, I'll
listen to several exchanges to ensure logging accuracy.  But to listen
to a dozen or more exchanges before getting my first crack at his
callsign?  That gets a "?" from my key.  If that upsets him, it
*should*.  That's the point - to upset his rut and make him identify his
station.  I'm not saying every running op does this; it is definitely
not the norm.  But it happens, and there's no reason for it.

Cheers,

Bob NQ3X