Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Phone Results

To: 'CQ Contest' <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Phone Results
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 13:09:10 -0600
I agree with Ken on this one. I'm afraid that most contesters dig no deeper
into
QST than contest results and maybe high-end radio reviews. Isn't it time you
broadened your horizons...put that sense of wonder back in that you had as a
teenager ?

Let's look at August QST for an example. In addition to the ARRL DX CW writeup,
there really were other contesting-relevant articles. Did you notice the
article
called "Obtaining Good Ground" ? This is arguably the best-written, most
practical article on protecting your station against lightning damage I have
ever seen. Surely that's relevant to contesting. How about the product review
comparing antenna analyzers ?  Maybe you can do better than that 10 year old
MFJ-259 analyzer ?  Or the reviews on butane-powered soldering tools - They
actually tried to solder a PL-259 with them. Great information for contesters !

73,
Steve, N2IC