Re: [CQ-Contest] Writelog vs. N1MM

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Writelog vs. N1MM
From: "Rich K2WR" <k2wr@njdxa.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 22:08:26 -0400
In my experience, N1MM equals the legendary CW sending performance of CT and
WriteLog does not.

Those who started computer logging with CT will remember that the "type ahead"
capability of CT enabled you to hit "Insert" or F2 to start sending the
exchange before you finished typing the other station's call.  The challenge
then was to finish typing the call before the software got to the end of what
you've typed so far.  CT would successfully send anything you typed before it
got to the end, even if you typed a letter one code element before it finished
sending the letter before.  N1MM did not initially do this quite as well, but
later versions, certainly beginning at least 3 or 4 years ago, perform exactly
as well as CT.  The last time I used WriteLog in a CW contest (admittedly at
least a couple of years ago), the software was not as liberal... i.e. you had
to beat it by 4-5 code elements or it wouldn't send the last letter you typed.
Having been used to CT, I found this annoying.  Perhaps it is better now, but
I'm very comfortable with N1MM.

Rich K2WR