Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving the Fabulous CQ 160 Contest

To: phriendly1@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving the Fabulous CQ 160 Contest
From: "Tom Haavisto" <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 22:41:30 -0500
I think you are missing the point, so lets see if I can clarify.

Typically in a contest, I will be calling CQ.  Maybe I sound "needy" -
whatever works I guess, but I manage to get a number of folks to call
me.  "I am not in the contest.  I want to give you some points - what
information do you need?"  Name, state - SIMPLE stuff.  Asking the
person to go on the internet to QRZ.COM, HAMCALL.NET, whatever to look
themselves up, figure out what grid they are in is a non-starter.  I
know the answer I would give if the roles were reversed - "Why don't
YOU go to the website, and get the information yourself?"  I typically
run unassisted, so this is not going to work well....

Consider the same scenario on CW - I will give out ON, and if they
hear the folks I am working, they will hear GA, FL, NY, whatever, they
can make a pretty good guess that he needs to send his state.  If they
hear five or nine digits go whizzing by, do you really expect them to
figure out "OK - they are looking for zip codes...."  What about folks
outside the US?

I guess I am also wondering - why are some folks trying to hijack an
already popular contest, and change how it works?  If there is that
much interest in having a contest (other than the SP) where grids are
exchanged, then by all means - have at it.  Makes the rules, pick a
weekend, and start publicizing it.  It will take a lot of work, and if
the rules are good, you may manage to get a contest folks are
interested in.

I love the SP - its great, but I am sure most of us here realize you
will NOT be making QSO's with a person who just got on, and wants to
give out a few points to help out his fellow hams.  You DO see this in
the CQ and the ARRL contests.  Its also a chance to work some DX.  I
expect in part this accounts for more entries, and more unique
callsigns appearing in the logs of folks who do send logs in.

Tom - VE3CX