Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving the Fabulous CQ 160 Contest

To: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving the Fabulous CQ 160 Contest
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 05:11:23 -0800 (PST)
Tom,

I'm not advocating a change to any contest (except maybe dropping 5NN, but
that's been talked to death already). I like both of the SP events as well as
CQ 160, just the way they are.

I can understand the argument for standardization, but prefer the variety
provided by all of the 160 (and other) events.

If participation was significantly dropping off, then maybe someone would need
to tinker. I don't think any of these contests have that problem. IMHO, leave
them alone.

Too, you can get your Grid Square using your Canadian Postal Code. I have to
think there is some similarly simple method of finding this in the rest of the
world too.

I'm all for working casual QSOs in contests as well, even if it means taking
time out to explain things. My thought is that I want that person to go away
with a QSO AND a positive perspective on contesting.

The NAQP events are perfect for the exchange you mention ;o)

73,
Julius

Julius Fazekas
N2WN