Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW CW & 6Y1V Logs

To: CQcontest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW CW & 6Y1V Logs
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:54:14 -0500
On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:27 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:

> So does this mean that 6Y1V will be DQed as the rules read that
> electric
> logs are required for high scoring entrants or did 6Y1V just not
> submit
> anything to CQ?

Seems like he is exercising his right to do as he wishes.

There is nothing to prevent a person from operating in a contest. Log
submissions are completely optional. You cannot be DQ'd from something
you didn't enter.

> If there is nothing to hide and you stand behind your score then
> what do you
> have to worry about?

That rationalization is chilling, because it has been used to justify
a whole lot of things. Many not so good.

> I can see why some would not want other to see their logs as it
> potentially
> could expose a strategy that others may not be on to aside from any
> nefarious activities.
>
> I guess if you are not intending to follow the rules then don't
> operate or
> don't submit your logs for consideration of winning an award.

Here you have the issue. The above looks as if it assumes that a
person who operates and does not submit is not playing by the rules.

I'd submit that honest, upstanding people who would never dream of
cheating, could also hold a valid conviction that their logs are
something between themselves and their contest sponsor.

Why on earth would anyone even complain about David not submitting? He
doesn't like one of the rules,  acted completely within his rights as
an Amateur radio operator by operating in the contest, didn't submit
his log,  and just mentioned it here, with his reason.

Opening logs to the public bothers some people. Some enough to decline
participation. It is the side effect of opening the logs publicly.

-73 de Mike N3LI -