Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX Plaques - Who should win them?

To: Contest Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX Plaques - Who should win them?
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 10:32:33 -0500
On Mar 2, 2009, at 7:39 AM, James Cain wrote:

> If I win everything, why not engrave the little plate on my plaque
> to read:
>
> K1TN
> Top World
> Top North America
> Top USA
>
> One plaque.
>
> But it "uses up" three plaques. That leaves a slush fund for two
> more plaques. Maintain an additional fund for "miscellaneous," and
> give second-place plaques to the number two scorers in World, NA,
> and USA.

A couple reasons:

Dunno about WPX, but for us, the plaques are automatically selected in
the software. the results are tabulated, and the right awardee is sent
to the right  plaque design. I'd have to custom design the plaques,
and have some sort of dynamic reduction of information. More likely,
I'd have the database spit out the multi-plaque winners, and then make
the plaques up manually. Granted I'm not paid, but if I was, the extra
time involved would negate any savings. We also have sponsors for the
individual plaques, so that wouldn't be any savings anyhow.

But that is just us, the more important reason is that if we did what
you said, there would be plenty of people in the same boat who would
complain that they won those  plaques - they want all that they won.

-73 de Mike N3LI -