Re: [CQ-Contest] Station Inspections

To: <nn4x@embarqmail.com>, "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Station Inspections
From: "Dave - AB7E" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:30:33 -0700
I agree 100%.  Why else would people spend extra money on expensive feedlines,
or better bandpass filters, or ... well, you name it.  (I'll concede that
bigger antennas generally have a better pattern that helps on receive as well.)

A couple of years ago I mixed computer generated CW with band noise I recorded
from 80m (using a 400 Hz filter) to generate a few audio files with different
signal/noise ratios.  I kept the noise energy the same and varied the CW audio
in one decibel increments.  Three db literally made the difference between less
than 50% copy and perfect Q5 copy.  Even the difference between +1 db and +2 db
(compared to my baseline file) was noticeable.

73,
Dave  AB7E