Re: [CQ-Contest] Why Are European Contesters Younger?

To: "Felipe J Hernandez" <fhdez@islandnetjm.com>, <ly8o@ot.lt>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why Are European Contesters Younger?
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:42:32 +0600
Hi Felipe

> Have the number of club stations on your country diminished?

Yes

> Do you see a relationship between that and amateur population?

Yes

> I would like to hear from other amateurs if they see a relationship
> between clubhouses and amateur population.

In the USSR club stations served as schools for newcomers. Club stations
were supported by the state (premises, equipment donations). One could
operate club station having no license, get hooked on the hobby, learn from
old-timers, prepare and pass exams an finally get license.  Most of that is
gone now.

73, Igor UA9CDC