Re: [CQ-Contest] Why Are European Contesters Younger?

To: <ly8o@ot.lt>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why Are European Contesters Younger?
From: "Felipe J Hernandez" <fhdez@islandnetjm.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:33:26 -0400
Remi, Igor and Zoli

Yes, its good to remember those days.. It makes me think that
perhaps we are giving more weight to the playstations , Internet and other
"sources of distractions" than we have to.

Maybe older Amateurs like us decided we where too tired to get envolved more
with
the aspiring amateur community. could it be mostly our fault? Not sure, but I
remember
our amateur mentors being very enthusiastic about teaching us Cw and Dxing. How
much of the same have we done?

In fact It wasnt much about contesting in the early days, It was more of
building antennas and dx ing and rig building and showing off qsl cards. all
mostly related to pure operating.

I was talking to a close Amateur friend the other day and he mentioned that for
him the competitivity of the sport and field work/antenna  where his main
factors to continue as an amateur, and I spoke to some of the young guys
(already hams) that showed up on an activity and believe it or not  they said
that they where a little scared of using  ssb and cw and they took these
chances to learn more from the OM's.

Us guys, that we were exposed to Ham radio and had a club station around to
play and listen, we were never afraid, we just wanted to operate and I believe
that having mentors and experienced operators around really helped us to
understand the hobby better and loose that fear.

I would love to hear how has been the experience for USA operators/club houses,
perhaps
we can nail a trend or focus more our energy towards finding a solution.

As of what to do, looks inevitable to look back at the roots of our hobby and
make operating the key, as far as the new technology, its very easy to
integrate
computers to our hobby and entice more youngers than ever..

 Find a location organize weekly meetings, teach morse code, contesting basics
and  prepare some activities with a radio to play with, fuel it with
competition and  im sure it will make a big difference.

Felipe

Np4z/kp3z