Re: [CQ-Contest] 40m "new" approach to staying in the band?

To: n2ic@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 40m "new" approach to staying in the band?
From: Iain MacDonnell - N6ML <ar@dseven.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 09:15:01 -0800
On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where did this business about high bands being USB, and low bands being LSB
> come
> from, anyway ?

One explanation here:

http://aditl.com/ham/harc/harcnl/harcnl0111.html

"Why are you on LSB on 40? USB on 20? We continue to try to please
every member, so here's a little history lesson for you newcomers from
Francis Blatt KH6KH. The first SSB exciter was made by Central
Electronics and it was crystal controlled. Do YOU have a 10A or 10B in
your shack? Didn't think so. To save cost the same crystal was used
for 7 and 14 MHz, but that meant you had a doubler, another stage to
get to 20 meters, and the signal is inverted through every stage. So
LOWER on 40, and UPPER Sideband on 20 meters. So that's what hams
used! And got used to using. When Collins introduced a SSB rig with
selectable single side bands (KWS-1, then S-Line), we could choose,
but "it's always been that way" prevailed and we chose LSB on the low
bands and USB on the high bands."

> Are there any technical or legal reasons why we shouldn't switch to USB on 40
> meters ?

Probably not, but we, as contesters, rely on non-contesters calling us
to increase our scores. I doubt that it'd be in our (selfish)
best-interests to start CQing on USB on 40 - those not "in the know"
will just tune on by. Also, those in other regions would run into the
same problem with USB up close to 7200, no?

    ~Iain / N6ML