Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating practices heard in SS SSB

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating practices heard in SS SSB
From: "Paul Mackanos - K2DB" <k2db@k2db.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:27:52 -0500
Hi Guys & Gals:
Well, it is Tuesday morning, and I have finally caught up on my lack of
sleep
from operating sweepstakes at K2NNY. The first thing I want to do is thank
all
of the operators who braved the big pile-ups for us in NNY. It was a great
contest.
In looking at the reflector this morning and seeing the topic of "operating
practices
heard in SS SSB" I Have another thought. And here it is:
we have activated K2NNY in every CW and SSB contest since NNY became a new
section, I
believe that was back in 1994 or so. I have "NEVER had a station, repeat
NEVER" had a
station do the following to us. Here is the scenario,
We change bands and decide to go to 80 meters. Did you ever try to find an
open, clear
frequency on 80 during SS SSB? It isn't easy, but it can be done. We slip in
between two
relatively weaker stations and say "is this frequency in use? We do this 5
times, remember,
I said 5 times. We do this for a reason, we know that we are a well known
station, and we
operate as gentlemen and ladies when we put K2NNY on the air. We want to
have fun and make
sure that every possible station can work us. No answers to the QRL, so here
we go,
CQ SS CQ SS this is K2NNY K2NNY sweeps. We get an answer on the first call,
and
the pile-up begins. We are running them pretty good for about 10 or 12
minutes then the
following happens K2NNY this is N8**, I am down a few khz and you are
interfering with me.
I demand you move.
K2NNY reply, I am sorry we are interfering with you, but we did ask if the
frequency was in
use, and we have been here for over 10 minutes. N8** reply, well if you are
not going to move,
I am going to interfere with you and you won't be able to work anyone on
this frequency.
K2NNY reply, excuse me did you say you were going to intentionally interfere
with me.
N8** reply yes I am. I say that that is not allowed and I am going to record
you interfering
with me. The next thing I hear is CQ SS CQ SS this is N8**. Well now, there
is a huge pile-up
here wanting to work K2NNY, so what do I do, move? No, we are here, so QRZ
K2NNY and away we go,
every time I work a station I hear (under the pile-up) N8** cqing. It only
took a few minutes
for him to figure out that he did not interfere with us at all, as we kept
working the
pile-up over the top of his weaker signal.
This prompts me to ask this question, "what was he thinking?" and another
question, I wonder
if N8** is in K2NNY's log?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Paul K2DB