Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating practices heard in SS SSB

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating practices heard in SS SSB
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:03:23 -0500
Pet Peeves:  Technically legal, ethically questionable, all based on actual
contest QSO's over the years...

1.
CQ Contest, CQ Contest, This Is QX1X
QY1Y
QY1Y Thank You 59 ABCD
Thank You 59 DCBA QRZ Contest QY1Y
Ah, QY1Y, this is my frequency!
QX1X Please QSY you are QRM'ing Me QY1Y QRZ
-- or --
Sorry, no copy, can't hear you, QRZ QY1Y  (didn't they just work?)

2.
(after a few minutes on the frequency)
CQ Contest, CQ Contest, This Is QX1X
QX1X QY1Y This is MY Frequency Please QSY!
But I've been using this frequency for ## minutes!
This has been my run frequency for ## hours, I just left to (work a mult,
check a band, change my diaper, fill in the blank), It's MY frequency, find
your own.

3.
This one's a little tough to put into "conversation" vocabulary, it's when
QY1Y, the station you just worked, goes 2 kc or so above or below you on
phone, .5 kc or so on CW or digital, and over a few minutes, slowly "slides"
onto your frequency.  Now you'd think a top notch world class contest
station wouldn't be employing a drifty VFO like that...

4.
Having your (favorite mode) QSO wiped out by a group of (another continent)
contesters on (other mode which is the contest's mode of the weekend) trying
to work a (your continent) station who is transmitting where they are
allowed, but listening right on top of you.  And then be told that
"gentlemen's agreements" and "band plans" are merely suggestions to be
discarded when appropriate, as determined by the (your continent) station.

5.
Being called by a contest station when you're not in the (domestic)
contest... as you're trying to work a (non domestic) station on his/her
frequency... and then get spotted, get called by a dozen contesters... and
the (non domestic) station gives up and QSY's.

To paraphrase Julie Andrews, these are a few of my "favorite" things... NOT.

73