Re: [CQ-Contest] anti-contest petition MMSN

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] anti-contest petition MMSN
From: VK4TI <vk4ti@wia.org.au>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:24:07 -0800 (PST)
We had an incident reported in VK of a foundation grade licencee reporting in
daily to a 20M net while he sailed from VS6 to VK6....out of band...

with all due respect as has been pointed out these people buy $500,000
yachts and then want to protect the lives of everyone on board with the
cheapest possible product usually with licences obtained from dubious
locations as well....and this traffic net encourages that activity...this is
screwball mentality...even though my fishing boat was 19 foot and we fished
mainly in the protected waters of Hervey Bay I had VHF and 27mhz (special
Aussie Allocation) Marine band radios as well as EPIRBs...

What happens when the "trained" operator is the one who is injured and the
rest of the crew need to operate a HF amateur radio that they have no idea
on ... surely a proper MARINE HF rig or satphone to call up the coast guard
would be a much better alternative...

Trent VK4TI

Idle-Tyme wrote:

> If they have enough money to own a yacht,  they got enough money to buy
> emergency communications gear like sat phones and beacon systems that
> are designed exactly for this purpose. And is already licensed on freqs
> for those uses.
> Joe WB9SBD
>
> *The Original Rolling Ball Clock
> http://www.idle-tyme.com*
>

> Mike Kasrich wrote:
>> If this is mostly for yachters and it is really necessary maybe they
>> should petition the ITU ( or what ever agency handles international freq
>> assignments) for their own designated freq.  Maybe 14.360 is available.
>> Folks could still use their amateur equipment and a rule could be
>> implemented to allow use of the freq by hams world wide for martime net
>> use only.
>>
>> Just a thought
>>

>> Bill Haddon wrote:
>>
>>> RE MMRS Petition:
>>>
>>> I have a different perspective.
>>>
>>> For the last 17 years my family has spent Thanksgiving with members and
>>> friends of two major sailing clubs in the SF Bay area (we are not
>>> sailers,
>>> however).  A  wide variety of people have attended these gatherings,