Re: [CQ-Contest] anti-contest petition MMSN

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] anti-contest petition MMSN
From: "AA6DX" <aa6dx@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:26:24 -0800
I am getting to where I can be officially called an "old timer" -- on air
for 45 years now ..  and I have this to say about that, the MMSN whine ...
First off -- yes, there are more avenues for communications now as opposed
to 20 or so years ago, and I think that is one reason you see fewer
incidents calling for aid on the ham bands of late.  But, there is sure a
lot of chit -chat traffic, much of which is being transmitted by non--or
faux -- "ham operators"!
Secondly, methinks there are many emergency situations that are handled on
other than net frequencies! Years ago, I recall 2 SOS yachting incidents
where I was a primary communicator, and neither were on "net" frequencies.
I have helped at other times, by keeping frequencies clear during the
emergency, etc....
I guess my point is that an ocean going vessel with problems does not HAVE
to call for aid on a net frequency, there may be other hams perfectly
capable of handling traffic, and have better equipment and perhaps enjoying
superior propagation than the net has at the particular moment.  A ham that
contests is usually able to deal with emergency traffic, and just might have
his (or her) station equipment in top-notch operating condition, and also
know propagation, beam headings, etc.
In younger years, I gave a few convention seminars/club meeting
presentations called "Contesting --Why and How" -- keynoting that contesting
promotes experienced hams, who are capable of handling emergencies, in the
public service ... which is the primary reason Amateur Radio as we know it
exists.
Merry Christmas to all ... 73, Mark  AA6DX    ARRL Life Member