Re: [CQ-Contest] Did I cheat in NAQP CW?

To: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>, "'CQ Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Did I cheat in NAQP CW?
From: <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:24:41 -0600
Well, with all due respect to my fellow SS QST author Steve, I think it might
be unreasonable to impose
on operators a duty to control what others may do.

To take Steve's example a step further, what if I'm calling CQ (not a selective
CQ but just a CQ) and a
well-intentioned but misguided Good Samaritan who knows, say, that VY1 is a
rare section, mentions
out of the blue "hey, did you know J was on 14210?"?

Am I expected to reclassify myself as U? I think not. I can't control what this
guy did. And, it's
something I heard, myself, on the air and on frequencies permitted by the
rules. I did not solicit the
information. This was not an "operating arrangement". It was just a
happenstance. The info is fair game.

If I call "CQ RI", am I soliciting those not in RI to tell me where RI is?
That's debatable, but really, I'm
soliciting a QSO with someone in RI. Fair game, AFAIC.

One thing that seems to me to be a reality check here: an operator who feels
the need to call selective
CQs isn't going to win. Chances are, such an op isn't really even going to be
competitive, particularly in
SS, with so few multipliers. Rate is key to SS, and with rate, come the mults.
I would suggest that the
operators who fixate on a sweep (and nothing wrong with just wanting a sweep),
resort to selective CQs
because they fear they may not be on long enough or work enough guys that the
mults just happen.

YMMV at 8:30 p.m. on Sunday with one section left to go, but generally, the ops
who place competitive
scores in SS do so by just calling CQ, maxing out rate and letting the mults
come.

73, kelly
ve4xt