Re: [CQ-Contest] Did I cheat in NAQP CW?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Did I cheat in NAQP CW?
From: "Rick Lindquist, WW3DE" <ww3de@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:02:07 -0500
Jul/Julius is correct.

A practice that seems especially prevalent among non-US/VE stations is to
set up the logging software to do an online lookup and insert whatever
appears as your given name on your license record into their reply. This
happens a lot on RTTY, within and outside of contests.

So, when someone comes back and says something like, "Thanks, Eric, for the
QSO," I know they never copied the name I sent, which would be "Rick" (I
used "Dallas" in the NAQP CW in memory of W3PP). This further suggests that
my signal probably sucks, but, hey, I already know that.

Regarding post-contest log checking, I don't feel it's "cheating" to
proofread all the entries looking for typos and the like ? entering "O" when
I really meant to enter "0," for example.

Rick/Eric, WW3DE