Re: [CQ-Contest] Cluster network update - was: Reverse Beacon Network -

To: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cluster network update - was: Reverse Beacon Network - too much success?
From: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 11:34:05 -0600
K1TTT - I would say virtually impossible.  There is just too much
investment in too widely varied configurations by too many independent
operators to switch it to something else.  And all it takes is ONE open
web cluster, or one unsecured rf connection for someone to get in to
disrupt the network.

This is simply not true. Modification of existing software to include
authentication would be fairly easy as long as the code is open source.

As far as one open cluster is concerned, simply don't allow any nodes to
connect unless their users are authenticated. Using a few master
replicated databases would make this a simple task. If abuse is
detected, it would be easy to see the node(s) that propagated the abuse.
Once idenified the node operator would be contacted and onformed of the
abuse. If it continues unabated, the node could be cut off from the
system by its peers. A master list of abusive nodes could be maintained
so other node operators would know not to allow these abusers to connect
with them.

This isn't rocket science (and we have that down pretty well now). Let's
fix this problem and get rid of the filth on the cluster.

Stop looking for excuses, stop saying it can't be done and be part of
the solution!

KY1V

Sincerely,

David Kopacz, CTO
Rational Certified Developer, MCSE+I

ASPwebhosting.com, LLC
Microsoft Certified Partner
4044 Fort Campbell Blvd, #308, Hopkinsville, Kentucky 42240
1.888.277.9320 U.S. & Canada
1.502.410.2922 International

SIP: dial@freecall.aspwebhosting.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
The information contained in this electronic transmission is PRIVILEGED
and CONFIDENTIAL information intended only to be viewed by the
individual, entity or entities named as recipient(s). You are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this
communication is strictly prohibited and a violation of your service
agreement. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify ASPwebhosting.com, LLC immediately by electronic mail or by
telephone and permanently delete this message from your computer.