Re: [CQ-Contest] Cluster network update - was: Reverse Beacon Network- t

To: "'Luc PY8AZT'" <py8azt@dxbrasil.net>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cluster network update - was: Reverse Beacon Network- too much success?
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:59:44 +0000
A central server system has been discussed in the past, but has always been
rejected as being a single point of failure, removing local control, relying
on someone to provide the service for a long period, etc.  While things like
sms, twitter, aol-im, msn-im, irc, aprs, and other services may seem like a
nice way to do it I would worry about the long term viability and our use
being disrupted by business decisions or changes in other services for
security or other reasons.  When ar-cluster came out there was a move to
organize into regional sub-nets which would connect via one hub... that
fairly quickly fell apart when everyone realized that a single failure could
split the world into a bunch of disconnected islands.  The software was
modified to allow more redundant connections and automatic failovers.  This
is similar to how other cluster software works now, most nodes have many
redundant connections so a single failure affects only the local node.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net