Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters
From: Mike N0HI <mike@n0hi.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:12:25 -0400
As a younger operator, I can tell you with 100% certainty and without a
sliver of doubt that if we were all using paper logs and footwarmers, we
would have even less attention from the younger crowd.  The high-tech
stuff has "coolness potential".  You can say how much fun your paper
dupe sheets and Nixon-era radios were (and probably still are), but that
isn't going to attract the new crowd.

The entire "technology" argument continues to baffle me.  I don't climb
on a United Airlines two-passenger biplane to go to Florida and I don't
use a horse-and-buggy to get across town.  If I wanted to do those
things, however, I would still do them.  I just wouldn't complain that I
couldn't keep up with an F-22 or that the people driving Mustangs were
"cheating".  I also wouldn't say that flying an F-22 or driving a
Mustang is unethical.  It's the advancement of technology.  Use it or
don't -- but don't say I'm any less of an operator because I do.

--
Mike DeChristopher, N0HI
http://www.n0hi.net