Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 18:25:51 -0700
You missed my point.  I responded to your emphatic agreement with
SM2CEW, who stated "In my eyes, yes you are less of an operator when
using the RBN/cluster technology."  It may be easier to find a contact
from cluster spots than from tuning around, but just because somebody
elects to use the cluster does not necessarily make them a "lesser
operator".  It just means that they are potentially capable of running
up a higher score than someone who doesn't.  That's why the contest
sponsors have (for the most part) either created separate categories for
spotting assistance or prohibited their use.  I almost always operate
unassisted but I guarantee there are lots of far more proficient
operators than I am who (for whatever reason) choose to operate in an
assisted category.

A contester who purchased (quite possibly via the internet) and paid
someone else to install a 4-stack of monobanders on a 150 foot tower
also is likely to achieve a much higher score than somebody with a
homebrew 2-element yagi at 40 feet.  How is that any less an instance of
using steroids to supplant amateur radio skill?  At least cluster
assistance puts the person into a separate category.

Dave   AB7E

p.s.  I'm now as tired of arguing this stuff as everyone else must be.