Re: [CQ-Contest] TB-wires WPX category

To: Oleg Skydan <sov1178@rambler.ru>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TB-wires WPX category
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 12:57:55 -0400
Hi Oleg

Lets see what the rule says:

a) Tribander/Single Element (TB-WIRES): During the contest an entrant
shall use only one (1) tribander (any type, with a single feed line
from the transmitter to the antenna) for 10, 15, and 20 meters and
single-element antennas on 40, 80, and 160 meters.

There is no limit on the number of elements.  I suppose you could
build a 10 element multiband quad, and it would still be fine as far
as the rules are concerned.

The rules do say "with a single feed line from the transmitter to the
antenna".  Where does the feedline end and the antenna start?  If we
assume the antenna starts at the boom, and there is a single feedline
to this point, then it fits within the rules.

If I may add a side note here (my own take on things, and is my
opinion only).  Folks on city lots will typically have one tower with
a tribander on top, and either a single, wire antennas for 40/80 and
possibly 160 or a vertical.  This way, folks of similar capabilities
can see how their station performs against similar stations.  Clearly,
folks with multiple monobanders, and multi-element low band antennas
are excluded from this class.  My take would also be that using
separate receiving antennas (ie beverages) would exclude you from this
call, as you would now have more than a single element for 40/80/160
(one to transmit with, and a second for receiving).

Hope this helps.

Tom - VE3CX