Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE

To: "Kenneth Silverman" <kenny.k2kw@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE
From: "Andy Faber" <andrewfaber@ymail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 18:40:28 -0700
I have to echo Kenny's lament.   As an example, I can
remember being incredibly frustrated in the middle of the night at P49Y in
an ARRL DX CW contest when an erroneous packet spot caused a sudden flurry
of dupes.  I tried everything that has been suggested: just work them
quickly, send
your call repeatedly slowly,  send their call and say "sri dupe" and send
your
call again -- but none of these techniques are very effective. Eventually,
of course, the problem abates, but it can cause you to grind your teeth for
ten minutes or  so.
 The worst offenders, are the big USA  multi stations that seem to jump
instantly on any packet spot.  If you ignore them, because you know they are
a dupe, then they just keep calling until you --again--
put them in the log, no matter how carefully you send your call over and
over.  Most of them simply seem not to listen.
  73, andy, ae6y, p49y