Re: [CQ-Contest] SS CW question

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS CW question
From: "Rick Lindquist, WW3DE" <ww3de@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 22:14:09 -0500
>This business of sending the other station's call with the exchange is
> a relatively new phenomenon in SS (and other domestic contests, I
> note). The only time I will send the other station's call is if I
> detect there is ambiguity...For example, if two guys are running, very
> close in frequency, and they both respond to my S&P call. Otherwise,
> sending the other station's call is a waste of time for both of us.

Huh??? Waste of time? Sending the other station's call sign has been a part
of the SS exchange for as long as I can recall - going back some 30 years
since SS became a "must" event for me - no matter what I had for gear or
antennas.

As someone has noted, a "few" stations failed to include their call signs as
part of their SS exchanges. Most, thankfully, did, however.

My own current call sign tends to get miscopied on occasion, so I not only
included it in my exchange, per the SS rules, but I made a special effort to
make sure the other station "got it" as well. I also used the other
station's exchange to double-check the call sign I thought I had received.

Beyond this, the rules state (note item 4.3):

1. Exchange: The required exchange consists of:

4.1. A consecutive serial number;

4.2. Precedence;

4.2.1. "Q" for Single Op QRP (5 Watts output or less);

4.2.2. "A" for Single Op Low Power (up to 150 W output);

4.2.3. "B" for Single Op High Power (greater than 150 W output);

4.2.4. "U" for Single Op Unlimited;

4.2.5. "M" for Multi-Op;

4.2.6. "S" for School Club;

4.3 Your Callsign;

4.4. Check

4.4.1. The last 2 digits of the year of first license for either the
operator or the station.

4.4.2. The same Check must be used the entire contest.

4.5. ARRL/RAC Section

4.6 Exchange Example: NU1AW would respond to W1AW's call by sending: W1AW
123 B NU1AW 71 CT, which indicates QSO number 123, B for Single Op High
Power, NU1AW, first licensed in 1971, and in the Connecticut section.)

 -  -  -

I don't find this too difficult to understand. In addition to including my
own call sign in my exchange, I made an effort to make clear my call sign if
I had reason to believe the other station had miscopied it. I know it's not
"my" problem if another station miscopies my call sign, but I'd rather they
get it right, just on principle. If they ignore my effort, THEN it's the
other operator's problem.

73, Rick / WW3DE