Re: [CQ-Contest] SS CW question

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS CW question
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 16:15:50 -0700
On 11/08/2010 08:54 AM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:11 AM,<KI9A@aol.com>  wrote:
>
>> Is it just me, or  more and more stations skipping the callsign part  of
>> the exchange??  I noticed this a couple years ago, and, this year, I had
>> maybe 20 or so do this.
>
> To me, it seemed that more stations failed to send MY call than failed
> to send their call embedded in the exchange.

The rules require that the station sending the exchange put their call in the
exchange. There is no rule that requires the other station's call to be in the
exchange. Apples and oranges comparison.

> If I send the exchange,
> and all I hear back is "###<prec>  etc." then I have no idea if they
> got my call right, if they doubled with me, or are working someone
> else.

Oh, I bet you have a pretty darn good idea.

This business of sending the other station's call with the exchange is a
relatively new phenomenon in SS (and other domestic contests, I note). The only
time I will send the other station's call is if I detect there is
ambiguity...For example, if two guys are running, very close in frequency, and
they both respond to my S&P call. Otherwise, sending the other station's call
is
a waste of time for both of us.

73,
Steve, N2IC