Re: [CQ-Contest] a little more fairness?

To: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] a little more fairness?
From: Prasad VU2PTT <vu2ptt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 19:44:17 +0530
Charles,

I strongly second your suggestion. It is always difficult in the first
hours and much of the night due to the reasons you stated.

I and a few others have been making a concerted effort to get more
people to play under the banner of VU Contest Group, but most ops in
VU are not very keen due to the difficulty of reaching distant
populations with average antennas.

Another anomaly we see in CQWW, a QSO with a JA station is still only
1 point but considering the distance involved it should be 3. If we
have nothing else to do, we would turn the antenna to JA not
otherwise. Sadly, that's deliberately trying to miss out QSOs with one
of the large ham populations. Its a different story in WPX though :)

Well, we play each year for the love of it, with Ole Sol on the
upswing things might be a bit more entertaining.

73 de Prasad VU2PTT
VU Contest Group
Contest Manager - ARSI

On 12/6/10, Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com> wrote:

> A modest proposal....  Could the contesting community consider cutting some
> slack to a neglected part of the contesting world, specifically CQ Zones 22,
> 26, 27 and 28, South Asia area.  I suggest doubling the point count for
> working stations in this area from outside the zones.
>
> The reason is that (1) most beams are from NA to EU or the reverse or are on
> JA (these headings are a long way from S. Asia usually), (2) many very high
> power stations clustered in EU tend to drown out S. Asia to all in EU, (3)
> the start time of 0000Z gives very poor first hours to S. Asia stations due
> to prop at those hours, and (5) there are just not as many one-hop stations
> to work within these and near-by zones and (5) not many stations in S. Asia
> do contests partly due to what is listed here.
>
> The playing field is just not flat, not nearly, and looks more like a
> mountain between S. Asia and the large collections of contesters in EU and
> NA.  So, I ask this be considered because it will also liven up contests and
> add more challenges.  I will certainly encourage S. Asia stations to
> participate more and longer.
>
> 73, Thanks, HS0ZCW
>
> Charles Harpole
>
> k4vud@hotmail.com