Re: [CQ-Contest] Technology against cheating?

To: pokane@ei5di.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Technology against cheating?
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:56:48 -0500 (CDT)
Not the audio recording stuff again.  What's next... 48 hour 360 degree video
recordings?

And with all due respect...

The thought occurs to me that, while some form of cheating or other dishonesty
has (sadly) always been part of contesting, at least with some contesters...

Since the advent of and growing popularity of the WRTC events, the stakes have
been raised -- and apparantly so has the desire to "win" at any or all costs
that the cheating (or rules loophole harvesting or whatever you want to call
it) has escalated.

It wasn't that long ago that most contesters could reasonably presume that the
vast majority of their fellow competitors where honest -- by in this context, I
mean that they operated fairly; stayed within the rules; and used common sense,
good amateur practices, and exhibited sportsmanship.

Seems today that the presumption, at least amongst the "top" or "elite"
contesters, is exactly the opposite.

If the "top" contesters have to shave the rules to remain amongst the "elite,"
then something has gone very wrong here.

Perchance it is high time to stop and re-evaluate what we are doing, and why,
before continuing to apply more and more draconian measures that give the
appearance or illusion that something is being done.  In short, I humbly
suggest that it is high time to treat the cause and not the symptoms.

...and I am not saying that we should do away with the WRTC.  I am saying that
the effect of qualifying for the WRTC is causing some serious consequences that
need to be looked at.

73

Mar 22, 2011 08:42:03 AM, pokane@ei5di.com wrote:

On 21/03/2011 20:57, vk4ti@yahoo.com wrote:

> This is really over board -

That's one opinion - others differ.

If no one ever cheated, there would be no need to
submit logs - results would be based solely on
claimed scores.

The trouble with written logs is that discrepancies
with what actually happened on-air (whether deliberate
or accidental) often go undetected.

The benefit of audio logs is that the written log
can be cross-checked with what actually happened.
Technology has already made it easy to generate
both written and audio logs, and technology will
simplify the job of comparing them.

WRTC already requires audio logs - others will
follow.

73,
Paul EI5DI