Re: [CQ-Contest] Technology against cheating?

To: "'KU7Y'" <ku7y@qsl.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Technology against cheating?
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 00:41:22 -0000
This is a little bit like saying the referee for a football game or the
umpire for baseball needs to meet a legal standard before making a call.
(Although maybe instant replay is worse than that!)

The contest administrators and committees do have wide latitude to evaluate
entries and make rulings.  The challenge is finding credible evidence.
Should it be enough that someone claims another station was cheating?  Is a
recording enough?  Video? Friend of a friend? On air observation?

The upcoming CQ WPX Contest has the following rule:

"XIV. Declaration: By submitting an entry in the CQ WPX Contest you agree
that: 1) you have read and understood the rules of the contest and agree to
be bound by them, 2) you have operated according to all rules and
regulations of your country that pertain to amateur radio, 3) your log entry
may be made open to the public, and 4) all actions and decisions of the WPX
Contest Committee are official and final."

#4 kind of says it all.

Now. Everyone take a deep breath.  Relax.  Follow the rules. Have fun. The
experience of the journey is far more important than the place in the
standings.

Randy, K5ZD