Re: [CQ-Contest] KR2Q - RX1CQ

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KR2Q - RX1CQ
From: Rob Katz <rob.katz@thelegacycenter.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 13:47:52 -0400
Another perspective on this that I haven¹t seen discussed:

As a mostly casual contester with an occasionally serious effort, I would
like to see open logs and UBN reports to increase my enjoyment of our sport.

One of the reasons I participate in Radiosport is the openness and support
in the community.  Complete strangers, my competitors, have assisted me many
times, and that has compelled me to do the same for others.  For me, there
is a brotherhood of competitors.  I have admiration, not jealousy, for the
top contesters.  While I assume there is some cheating, I choose to
participate with trust.

In every other serious competition that I can think of (there may be some
rare exceptions), all of the actions and every point scored by each
competitor is fully public.  Personally, I have no problem with that.

I call for open logs (and UBN reports to save me the effort of generating
them) to learn from and marvel at others.  I don¹t have the time to examine
their honesty.  It¹s like watching the Olympics for me ­ I just want to
appreciate a picture of how others have operated and how the top ones do it
so effectively!

I can understand others not wanting to reveal their hard-learned secrets
(for the same reason that I would like to see them!)  And any change to ³the
way it has always been² will often generate resistance.  In this case, for
people like me (some cannon fodder for many of you!), open logs would be a
big plus to my enjoyment and participation.

73,
Rob KA1ARB