Re: [CQ-Contest] KR2Q - RX1CQ

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KR2Q - RX1CQ
From: w5ov@w5ov.com
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 16:50:43 -0400
Hans,

You need to broaden your perspective a little. Firstly, I think that
anyone who spends a great deal of time looking at these public documents
may want to consider other activities that are more interesting - but to
each his own.

> UBN reports are a teaching document, very valuable to the operator who
> they  evaluate ("I gotta be more careful copying 'H' and 'S', or 'B' and
> '6'.), but useless to anyone else.

On the contrary, I think they can be used as a teaching tool for other
operators as well. That new person you refer to could see that your final
score was reduced from your claimed score (and knowing what a seasoned
veteran you are) he then wants to find out why - so he can look at your
UBN report to see for himself. He can learn a couple of things from this -
one, that not only newbies make mistakes, but he can learn perhaps what
kind of mistakes others - even those with experience - make and that he
should try to avoid.

In addition, and perhaps more importantly, the process by which all logs
are examined is on display for all to see and to understand how it works
fairly and the same for all entrants regardless of how much experience
they have or where they happen to live.

> If you read my UBN, all you learn is that Hans needs to practice his
> Morse.

I don't agree with this at all. This is truly "inside the box" thinking.

> Meanwhile, each operator faces the embarrassment of his mistakes exposed
> to public view.  Now I'm an old geezer working through my 8th decade with
> thick skin and I can take it (if I chose to), but how about the new guy,
> with undeveloped skills, tentatively deciding whether to be a contester?

I think that such concerns for the embarrassment of imaginary people are a
waste of time. If someone is embarrassed by a report of their contest
entry, they need to get a thicker skin and grow up. Everyone gets the same
treatment. The guy who wins - to the guy with the lowest score - all
should have their evaluations public. In addition, the vast majority of
entrants to contests will never even look at their own UBN report - much
less anyone else's.

> He's thinking "They're gonna publish my mistakes in a public UBN?  Really?
> All my buddies will see how I screwed up? Tell me again about all  the fun
> of contesting!"

Again, this sort of imaginary speculation is a waste of time. All of this
guys' imaginary buddies will have their mistakes published too so they'll
have nothing to gloat about and in fact, if they're to type to ridicule a
newbie, I suspect their log might be worse than his. Shame on them!

> Making the UBN report a public document is a drastically ill-conceived
> idea.

I disagree and think it's long overdue. It will put to rest all
accusations of unfairness and for those who want to waste their time
perusing other people's UBN reports, let them do so. It makes no
difference to anyone involved whatsoever. Nothing in these reports
contains any personal or private information whatsoever.

I have found in nearly 40 years of playing this game that the top
competitors have always shared their information with each other and
anyone else who asked. No one should object because no one should have
anything to hide.

73,

Bob W5OV