Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer had finally arrived

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer had finally arrived
From: JVarney <jvarn359@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:48:28 -0800 (PST)
That's exactly what I experimented with -- "Erase'n'Pounce". My plan for ARRL
DX was to operate off and on and then submit a checklog. This freed me up to
play around (staying within the rules of course) and hopefully add a few DXCC's.

Afternoons and evenings dozens of JA's are heard here in California on the high
bands. I had my N1MM bandmap linked to VE7CC's client pulling in only skimmer
spots from W6 and W7 land, with skimmer on and manual DX spots turned off. I
had the N1MM bandmap zoomed out to cover the whole CW segment. I would erase
the band map and then wait for the first new skimmer spot to appear, usually a
JA. If the spot was red or blue (not worked before) I'd quickly click it, check
the radio to see if I could copy him and if so, I'd answer the CQ. This was
actually quite fun. The obvious drawback to this method is you end up erasing a
lot of otherwise good spots. Erase'n'Pounce is entertainment, not a strategy.

A serious variation of erase'n'pounce would be to optimize band map refreshes
to make the new mults and stations stand out more. A full band map can be
overwhelming. In a skimmer environment what is an appropriate packet spot
timeout?

I also did some traditional S&P in the "white spaces" and worked one 50-watt JA
who was never spotted. Maybe the Skimmers were a little backlogged?

Anyway, I was very impressed by the RBN/Skimmer network. I think it is an
outstanding service to the amateur community. For it to run so smoothly during
a major contest is quite an achievement! Now we just need RTTY Skimmer for RTTY
contests :)

73 Jim K6OK

===
Ed N1UR wrote: "Clearly skimmer is having an impact.  I found it interesting
that it was quick and efficient but not overwhelmingly numerous, yet.  If there
are hundreds of skimmer enabled "quick find and hit" stations out there, most
are not doing too well with it yet."