Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer had finally arrived

To: <sawyered@earthlink.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer had finally arrived
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:05:31 -0500
As W9RE pointed out, one of the problems with Skimmer is that more stations
are zero-beat in your pileup, making it more difficult to separate the
signals. It's generally worse when a lot of lower-power stations from the
same part of the world are calling you, and may be worse on radios with
all-digital signal processing.

I think the zero-beat problem is worse with Skimmer than packet. When a
human spots, the reported frequency might be off by a few tens of Hz or
more, depending on where the op landed and his pitch preferences (or not
wanting to take the time to zero beat or not knowing how.) Skimmer always
spots zero-beat, as long as the radio is properly calibrated. I suspect the
SDRs people are using for Skimmer are better calibrated than the rigs they
use for QSOs.

73, Dick WC1M