Re: [CQ-Contest] Non-assisted & Assisted

To: Tõnno Vähk <tonno.vahk@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Non-assisted & Assisted
From: "Martin , LU5DX" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:59:49 -0300
Hmmm. That Georgian wine works wonders :-)
I believe only e few can speak with the authority of being part of the task
force that makes producing CQ WW results a reality.
You were part of that team and it is pretty clear what you describe.

Look at how selfish some contesters are:

There is a big hole in the rules, that some "iluminated", created long time
ago by saying if you use packet: you are assisted!
Anyway, that big hole did exist long ago, before packet clusters. When
phone alerting was not allowed (how in heaven could that have been proved)??
None of the top contesters long ago wanted to be classified as "assisted",
for several reasons.  One of them is the name of the category  itself. It
gives the idea that you are not as proficient at doing something, as those
who are not in that category.
Second of all, the assisted category certainly has a very small plaque
program, and there are really some nuts out there that give their lives for
a plaque.
So some of them, probably several of them started cheating.

It was only recently when top boxes and band by band brk were introduced
for SO(A) in the results.

Worst of all. WRTC  penalizes being assisted, so despite what you say about
being able to trace packet cheaters, even some of them take advantage of
that big hole to achieve more WRTC points.

But anyways I will end up accepting contest organizers need to keep SO and
SO(A) separated, so that many contesters can keep enjoying the pleasures of
finding mults by tuning a VFO knob, even if it's at the expense of making
the contest or at least the top scores adjudication something that's fake.

It really hurts to see many devoted helpers spend countless hours, while we
all know there is still a great deal of packet cheating going on.

They often say: well let's remove power categories and operators categories
too. because that cannot be proved either.

Well, exactly. That is how the contest was born in 1948. The fairest
contest of all time. One category. Very simple rules.  That's it.

The complexity added to make the contest more and more popular removed a
great deal of the virtue of it.

Now, a serious contester, with one of the most impressive contesting
backgrounds I can think of, contest director of the two biggest contests,
 throws an idea. Honest idea, simple idea, beneficial idea; and the old VFO
fanatics start their defense. Some of them even saying they will stop
entering the contest.

If CQ WW has 7000-8000 entrants submitting their logs, I guess it's worth
to have 50% of that in the future if the contest evolves towards being a
true contest, not something that is called that way, but it is not.

I believe utlimately a contest sponsor wants to ensure the contest they
conduct is something that respects participants by being able to validate
the final results to its most possible extent. And that,  is certainly way
above personal likes and dislikes of the entrants.

Vy 73.

Martin, LU5DX