Re: [CQ-Contest] Rules off the table ?

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rules off the table ?
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 12:19:56 -0500
Jim,

Phone contests are much more challenging than CW.  People imply that,
simply by the fact that it is CW that it is harder.    If you, by
definition, are not an experienced CW op, contesting is going to be very
difficult.   However, those who participate at a high skill level in CW
contesting are already proficient CW operators.  The "overhead" of knowing
how to copy is NIL to the experienced op.   Modern filter techniques make
clean CW easy to copy.  As W7WHY noted, dealing with accents, watery
signals, rotten audio, etc, is MUCH more difficult than, for example,
listening to a 339 CW signal though a pileup.

That said, CW's my favorite but I really enjoy and love to compete in phone
as well.   Glad to finally make Top Ten M in Phone SS this year! (Love the
great showing of East Coast multiops in the top ten this year).

On another recent topic, I'd love it if SS were QSO-per-band.   A simple
rule change that would eliminate BORING from Sunday.  I think it will never
happen because those who hold records want them to last forever.

73, Gerry W1VE

See ya'll as 8P1V SOABLP in ARRL.DX SSB.