[CQ-Contest] SS Sundays

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS Sundays
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 10:21:03 -0700
Slow Sunday's have been in the cards since I started doing SS. It is the number one gripe or complaint I have heard. When something stops being fun, people will be drawn to other interests. Mowing the lawn might be more fun than working 11 people an hour on Sunday in SS.

While it has been part of the contest forever. It is part of the problem as well.

I wish I had a simple solution to make the contest more interesting on Sunday but I don't.

I hear comments that this and that cannot be changed because of the old records. Records mean nothing if the contest dies. Records are for the people that have them. They are an indicator of that year. Things change and records were meant to be broke. Even if the rules were changed those records are still on the books.

A great many of our contacts come from people that are not really contesters. While we contesters will put up with lousy conditions and slow rates, the average ham probably will not.

It is unfortunate that we have to attempt to create more contacts by having people use multiple callsigns, stations, etc.

If most of the people can be worked in 14 hours then why not shorten the contest to 14 hours or change the time period to better coincide with peoples operating habits?

SO2R has become popular because it give the op something to do while Radio A sends out endless CQ's in hopes of a contact.

How many people look forward to Sunday afternoon in SS?  Not me!

Studies have shown that people are getting "addicted" to receiving emails and text messages. They get a small rush of endorphins when they get a text or email. When they stop receiving regular texts or emails they enter into a somewhat depressed state. Can we take advantage of this. Maybe we already knew this and running rate has always been king in my book?

We are in the age of instant satisfaction. Shouldn't the contest be considered fun for the entire period?

I like the work once component of the contest. There are plenty of other contests that allow you to work stations on all bands. If all the fun is to be had in the first X hours then why not end it then?

Just some thoughts. If there were easy solutions they would have been implemented.