Re: [CQ-Contest] PSE QSY - Deer in headlights

To: <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] PSE QSY - Deer in headlights
From: "Robert Brandon" <rb@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:05:39 -0600
I'm not surprised.  We had similar results at V31TP.  Consider that most of
our QSOs are with casual ops who haven't thought much about the rules of the
game.  I expect when they hear "PSE QSY", they think we're trying to defend
our frequency from somebody who's just tried to horn in.

Consider also that some of the guys we want to move may not be copying us
that well because of crummy radios, line noise, etc.  And while they may be
able to make a band change, it may be a pain -- change a PL-259 or two,
adjust an antenna tuner, etc.

I gained a little empathy for these guys as we worked a RI station that we
asked to move to 160.  I forgot he'd previously told me he had no antenna
and asked him twice.  I know another one of our ops asked him at least once.
I can just hear him on the other end, "Does he think I ran out and put a 160
antenna since our last !#@$ QSO?!"   :-)

Robert K5PI