Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 10:47:26 -0600
The premise was if there was a 24 hour category would more people attempt to operate the entire 24 hours instead of 10, 12, 20, etc. I don't think we will ever know until it tried or really tracked. It had nothing to do with competition.

If K5ZD, K1AR, N2IC, big gun, et al, decides to operate the 24 hour class they are most likely going to win there too or whatever category they choose. This discussion has nothing to do with trying to avoid competition and everything to do with getting the guy that operates less than the max to encourage him to operate more. To get the guy that operates 16 hours to operate 24. Wouldn't this be good for all? I think so.

SS is a 30 hour contest where you can operate 24 of the 30 hours. Has anyone done a breakdown based on operating time?

Who knows maybe being able to pick your 24 hours out of 48 might give the West Coasts guys a chance? I doubt it as you need to run Europe to win but you never know.

Mike W0MU